Re: draft-ietf-ohto-ccpp-exchange-00

From: Hidetaka Ohto (ohto@w3.org)
Date: Fri, May 12 2000

    From: "Hidetaka Ohto" <ohto@w3.org>
    To: "Graham Klyne" <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
    Cc: <www-ccpp-protocol@w3.org>
    Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:16:33 -0400
    Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ohto-ccpp-exchange-00

    Graham,
    Thank you for your comments on the draft.

    > I think it's important to be clear about the difference between number of
    > transactions and volume of data transferred.  The use of URIs as indirect
    > references, if anything, will tend to *increase* the number of network
    > transactions, while reducing the volume of data to be transferred.  I
    > understand the latter to be the primary goal, with caching assumed to
    > restrain the number of additional transactions incurred by this approach.

    Yes. I will try to make clear of it in the draft.

    > Finally, concerning the proposed use of "Profile-diff" headers.  To me,
    > this is mixing data formats with the protocol specification.  The idea of
    > expressing differences from some common feature set is, I think, a format
    > issue, and the CC/PP format is being designed to address this.  As such, I
    > don't think it should be necessary to distinguish between "profile" and
    > "profile-diff".

    > Here is one possible example approach:
    >     Profile-URI: <client-profile-URI>
    >     Profile-RDF: <RDF-expression>
    >     Profile-RDF: <RDF-expression>
    >      :
    >     Profile-RDF: <RDF-expression>

    In your possible example, you still distinguished the
    list of URIs(Profile-URI) from the list of RDF expressions(Profile-RDF).
    One of the main functions of "Profile" and "Profile-Diff" in the draft
    is the same as those of Profile-URI and Profile-RDF.

    Basically I am not sure the difference between them.

    My take on your opinion is that CC/PP descriptions should describe their
    relationship (such as overriding/combining rules) by themselves as much as
    possible.

    Currently, I admit that CCPPEX has complementary functions which
    may be solved in "Format" area, such as the precedence rules among
    Profile-diff headers etc.

    At the time I made the CCPPEX draft, CCPP itself does not have
    precedence rules explicitly, therefore CCPPEX needed to have the function.
    I agree there will be many details that are resolved as the CC/PP format
    definition is firmed up.

    -- Taka