Re: Comments on draft-ietf-ohto-ccpp-exchange-00

Hi Koen,

At 09:06 PM 6/9/00 +0200, Koen Holtman wrote:
>As I indicated before at WWW9, I believe that some text on how to
>dereference these URIs would strengthen the protocol and make it more
>extensible.

I didn't really appreciate what you meant before, but now I see your text
it looks very reasonable.

>But aside from that, unless there are strong indications that header
>length restrictions are really a problem, I'd rather see the whole
>profile-diff header system disappear, with all information in these
>headers put directly into the Profile header.

Broadly, I agree, but probably for different reasons.

Did you see the proposal I made to not try and carry profile structuring
information as part of the protocol?

>Also, if you are serious about making Vary more useful, you should
>also specify a 'preferred http-ext namespace number' (for example 50),
>which all user agents should use, if possible, when extending the
>request with a Profile http-ext header.  If user agents always
>generate these numbers semi-randomly. then two xx-Profile: yyy headers
>on two different requests but with the same yyy will seldom match
>because they have a different xx number.

Interesting point... isn't this something that might be addressed more
generally in HTTP extensions?  (I'm tempted to say that Vary: might be made
extension-aware, but that's too tall an order.)

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)