Fwd: Re: Ever* consensus meetings (Was Re: Fwd: Re: Everblue Standards :D)

For archive.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:  Re: Ever* consensus meetings (Was Re: Fwd: Re: Everblue
Standards :D)
Date:  Wed, 3 Jul 2019 16:53:23 -0400
From:  Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>
To:  Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>, David Singer
<singer@apple.com>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, fantasai
<fantasai@inkedblade.net>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, Ralph Swick
<swick@w3.org>, Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>

Thanks for the continued discussion today.

Minutes are at https://www.w3.org/2019/07/03-ever*-minutes.html

Executive summary

1. We all agree that both EB and EG conceptually address the continuous
development requirement.

2. But they are also different in significant ways.  They each have
pluses and minuses.  Based on one's view of the issues, that causes one
to favor EB or EG, or imagine an ET (Teal).

3. Accordingly, rather than decide at this point between EB and EG, the
common objective is to:

  * Continue to enhance each one based on the issues (such as the ones
    discussed in the minutes)
  * Find common areas and factor them out so they are independent of EB
    v EG; and also may apply directly to today's process (as we did with
    "definition of consensus" which we discussed last week; possibly HR
    is another example)
  * Develop a common presentation so that we can get more stakeholders
    in the discussion
      o The various needs and use cases which drive the need for
        continuous development
      o How each of EB and EG solve the need
      o The list of qualitative ways in which EB and EG differ (e.g.
        applies to the whole REC track; EG creates a fork of the
        process; EB has more rigorous criteria for advancement; EG has
        more granular tooling)
      o For each way that EB and EG differ - characterize  why it is an
        advantage for EB and EG
  * Armed with the common presentation, spend two hours getting AB
    reaction in Seattle
  * Informed by the AB discussion, revise and improve the presentation
    so that we can get the entire AC into the discussion.  Included in
    that is at least 30 minutes at the AC meeting in Fukuoka.  Perhaps a
    Wednesday breakout as well.

4. It is important to get some PSIG exposure and comment on EB.  We are
running out of time since it is summer time. Florian will reach out to
see if we can do that on 8 July - otherwise we slip to August.

5. It is important to get more comment from some of the intended
beneficiaries.  We have a plan for WebIDL.  We need a plan for
WebAppSec, although that may be premature.  PLH is looking at the
Editing spec.

6. Next meeting is Monday, 22 July, same time (2PM-5PM ET, 11AM-2PM
PT).  Before that meeting, EB and EG are mostly iterating based on
comments to date.  Most of the "common presentation" discussion will
happen after that call.

Jeff