RE: Functions in N3 (was: Re: What Happened to the Semantic Web?)

* Simon.Cox@csiro.au <Simon.Cox@csiro.au> [2017-12-03 05:00+0000]
> Have a talk to your w3c staff contact. It is usually possible to fix obvious things like this. Particularly if the namespace was already allocated, so the URI set is already implied.

It's easy to fix obvious things. The question we have to ask is if this is indeed obvious and non-contentious.

When W3C convenes a Working Group, the process involves knocking on a lot of doors to get all the relevant parties into the room. The WG tools on some stuff and asks widely and loudly for implementations and review. The product is that the resulting documents have been the subject of a lot of experimentation by the time they're published. Namespace documents don't require as much ceremony, but namespace documents attached to a Rec are making a best-faith effort to codify the terms defined in the Rec.

Typically, ns docs have many terms and include a namespace policy which claims stability after the accompanying specs make it through LC. <http://www.w3.org/ns/sparql> has one exciting term in it and probably even if we totally screw up and change it a hundred times, nothing out there will break. That said, it would be I believe it would be appropriate to contact at least the members of the SPARQL 1.1 WG to settle questions like:

  Do we duplicate names that are already defined in XPath/XML Schema?

  Are SPARQL implementations expected to recognize the newly-minted names? If not, how do we distinguish the ones which do?

  What are our unknown unknowns?

The last one is the hardest and is why we reach out to as many folks as possible.

--
-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509
mobile: +33.6.80.80.35.59