Re: Need secure Web Socket support for w3c-test.org

On 01/04/15 02:18, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> +jgraham
>
> Hi Art, Hi Philippe,
>
> I’ve talked to James about the wss: support and based on that discussion I
> think the ETA is that we could get the limitation removed within one month.
>
> But maybe James can chime in to let me know if that’s too optimistic.

So the deal is that the way that the tests run in wptrunner in gecko
uses autoproxy which is kind of a pain with TLS (it first sends a
CONNECT message unencrypted and then starts the encrypted session). This
is needed because I can't modify the hosts file on our test machines.
It's a pain to hack pywebsocket to support that flow, which is why we
don't have wss already.

However I recently discovered that we have a gecko pref to set up a
profile-specific equivalent of /etc/hosts that I can use instead of all
this autoproxy stuff. If I change the gecko runner to use that enabling
wss should be trivial (I hope!).

How soon this happens basically depends on how soon I get to work on
this, which I'm not sure about. I expect it will either be "almost right
away" or "not for a while", depending on whether I get some large
high-priority item I have to do first.