Re: Is the TAG structure harmful? [Was: Fwd: Forced Resignation]

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 16:44:18 +1000
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
To: "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Eric,

On 2 Jul 2014, at 4:34 pm, Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net> wrote:

> Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> after all, if you trust someone to be a contributor to the Web
>> architecture, surely you trust them to know the difference between
>> company interests and the Webs'?
>>

> Seriously? Really, seriously? If that's what you think, then your
> warnings to me about "disruptiveness" on the http-wg list make a lot
> more sense.

The only e-mail to you that I find in my Sent Mail even remotely along these lines is:
  <http://www.w3.org/mid/021DF08B-395A-4CCA-9F3F-DA7E8437955B@mnot.net>

Were you referring to that, or something else?

> But, I must strenuously disagree -- the last thing I trust
> is that contributors here will put the interests of the Web ahead of the
> interests of those cutting their paychecks.

I find that a bit sad, but OK...

> Otherwise, architectural
> concerns wouldn't be scoffed at as they are. But, as you've made quite
> clear to me, bringing up these concerns will get me banned as they're
> political, not technical, in nature. But I think that's what HTTP/2 is
> all about, so I'd best shut the **** up about it.

OK. I'm not sure what's causing the vitriol here, but I apologise if I've contributed to it. I don't believe I ever said you'd be banned for contributing; I'm only try to maintain a professional environment that focuses on data and outcomes, not ad hominems (which dismissing someone's viewpoint because it's "corporate" is).

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/