Re: RDF Concepts - Definition of "Generalized RDF"

On 10/22/2013 08:26 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> David, a quick response to correct a misapprehension. See inline
> below.
>
> On Oct 22, 2013, at 9:05 AM, David Booth wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> On 10/21/2013 06:48 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>> Is this request supposed to be for me, or for the sender of the
>>> response?  I initially sent back a private response on this, but
>>> in the interests of time, I will answer with my personal
>>> feelings.
>>
>> Yes, but apparently you missed my followup, as I didn't receive a
>> response to that.  My followup was: [[ For concepts that are *used*
>> then I would agree, but that concept is *not* used in the RDF
>> Concepts spec.  The RDF Semantics spec uses other far more
>> important concepts too, such as "denotes", but surely you would not
>> advocate moving those definitions to the RDF Concepts document? ]]
>>

>>> The introduction of generalized RDF is in Concepts because
>>> Concepts is where RDF concepts are to be introduced.
>>> Generalized RDF was called out as a worthy RDF concept because
>>> JSON-LD needed something to point to for its generalization of
>>> RDF.
>>
>> And my followup said: [[ That's an interesting catch-22, because
>> the JSON-LD *justification* for using the notion of generalized RDF
>> was that it is defined in the RDF specs, so we seem to have a
>> circular justification going on here.
>
> No, the reason for JSON-LD using a generalization of RDF syntax is
> quite external to the RDF specs, and has its roots in the JSON
> community itself. So this is not a catch-22, as you put it, but a
> small gesture of conciliation between RDF and JSON-LD, which are like
> two musicians playing the same tune but each insisting that their
> version was written by a different composer.

I understand that the *motivation* for using generalized RDF had nothing
to do with the existence of the definition in the RDF specs.  But i
distinctly remember the existence of the definition in the RDF specs as
being used as a justification for going ahead with the
blank-nodes-as-predicates feature in JSON-LD, rather than finding
another solution in spite of the motivation.  I don't know how easily i
could find the messages or phone log to prove that, but i was quite
heavily involved in those discussions at that time and i distinctly
remember that point standing out in my mind at the time.

David

[2] ISSUE-147: https://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/147

[5] ACTION-309: https://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/actions/309