W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-archive@w3.org > January 2013

"Community" and "Business" "group" list traffic

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 01:36:32 +0100
To: www-archive@w3.org
Message-ID: <gev0g8ljhuek8p69eude58q5heec60d1af@hive.bjoern.hoehrmann.de>
Hi,

  Attached are list traffic figures for public `-contrib` mailing lists
without the `-contrib` suffix, as approximation for relevant groups. For
the last three months in 2012, these are the top 30:

    714 public-webid
    461 public-rww
    437 public-markdown
    221 public-nextweb
    216 public-schemabibex
    201 public-respimg
    180 public-microxml
    137 public-philoweb
    135 public-texttracks
    134 public-openannotation
     91 public-ontolex
     89 public-fedsocweb
     84 public-speech-api
     76 public-websignage
     64 public-webpayments
     59 public-council
     51 public-socbizcg
     50 public-coremob
     35 public-sdshare
     35 public-declarative3d
     32 public-ar
     31 public-odrl
     31 public-hpcweb
     31 public-fixing-appcache
     22 public-xformsusers
     22 public-webhistory
     21 public-swisig
     12 public-change
     11 public-webed
     10 public-webobservatory

In all of 2012 across all these lists there have been around 30 mails
per day on average (that's roughly the www-style traffic). Unfortunately
I still lack suitable software that would cluster the time series data
(so you can group lists into categories according to their traffic
patterns, like "stable for a long time" or "initial spike, then dead").

I also tried to find better tools for this than the usual HTML > XSLT >
CSV pipeline, but nothing suitable came up, so I used

  <xsl:transform
    version="1.0"
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
  >
  <xsl:output encoding='utf-8' method='text'/>
  <xsl:template match="text()"/>
  <xsl:template match="table[thead/tr/th[.='period']]/tbody/tr">
    <xsl:value-of select='concat(
      substring-before(/html/head/title, " "),
      ",", td[1], ",", td[5], "&#xa;")'/>
  </xsl:template>
  
  </xsl:transform>

and even made a wrapper script https://gist.github.com/4607023 for it.
Ordinarily the XSLT should escape the CSV values, or perhaps remove any
newlines and commas in them, but such functions don't tend to be built-
in, and sadly, libraries are hard to make with XSLT 1.0.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/ 


Received on Thursday, 24 January 2013 00:37:02 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 24 January 2013 00:37:03 GMT