Re: Usage of the @role attribute (Fwd: IDPF event at Salon du livre)

Dear Markus,

On 27/03/2013 14:49 , Ivan Herman wrote:
> Robin, please meat Markus Gylling, CTO of IDPF and also possible
> chair of the upcoming Digital Publishing IG.

Pleased to meet you!

> Markus, I had some discussions with Robin on the question we were
> discussing a while ago you and me, on whether the @role attribute
> could be used in EPUB3.01 to replace the current idpf:type attribute
> for, say, glossary items. I just forward you the relevant issues; I
> let you two discuss the technical details, if any...

That is just one topic amongst potentially several that I would like to
discuss (but there is no rush). In general, I am interested in features
that EPUB adds that aren't available on the vanilla "browser" web. I
believe that those should provide use cases for additions to HTML. (Note
that I'm not saying that HTML should just import them as is — but I do
think that we should strive for convergence and I want to help with that.)

Concerning @role, I started discussing the potential usage of it from
EPUB types. The first questions I received were about how much this was
implemented in actual readers, i.e. how actual implementations change
their behaviour (compared to an unmodified HTML engine) based on these
types. If you have any way in which I could easily find such
information, it would be most helpful.

Thanks!