Re: My case for the obsoletion of longdesc (Was: 48-Hour Consensus Call: InstateLongdesc CP Update)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 01:19:35 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
Leif Halvard Silli, Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:41:53 +0200:
>> VoiceOver reads based on the VoiceOver cursor, not the keyboard focus.
>
> Would the VO cursor be that what I see in that "black bar" at the
> bottom of the page?

Ah, sorry, now I understand what 'VoiceOver cursor' refers to: the
"highlight frame" that is around the object that has "VoiceOver focus".
I had of course noted that cursor long ago, but that things is very far
from what I connect with "cursor": a one millimeter wide blinking
upright 'I' never more than one line-height.

Btw: VoiceOver has several settings which correlate and/or blurs the
correlation between keyboard focus and "voiceover focus". One of the
options is that VoiceOver focus follows keyboard focus.

However, my expectation for feature like @longdesc would be that, when
following <a> links, @longdesc links or @cite links, then the voiceover
focus would move to wherever the link leads. And had keyboard moved
with the "follow a link" focus, then this would/should automatically be
solved.
--
leif h silli