RE: URL work in HTML 5

I think it would be useful to find a system that requires general IRI syntax to be more constrained. Of course, individual schemes can constrain their syntax in a scheme-specific way (making anything that doesn't match the scheme template invalid-as-instance-of-scheme even if valid-as-IRI). And individual contexts (like "space separated list of IRIs") can provide additional constraints ("before adding an IRI to a space separated list of IRIs, replace all spaces with %20").  But those kinds of rules are layered on top of 3987(bis).

I'd like to talk out some of these things in Atlanta, should we try to make it a separate (bar) bof, or try to use the IRI working group time to talk about this?