Re: URL work in HTML 5

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> Oh, also, you guys keep mentioning "HTML5". This really is about all
> URLs everywhere, XMLHttpRequest, CSS, HTTP Location header, SVG
> xlink:href, SVG href, etc.

I think this summarizes the primary disconnect:  that "all URLs
everywhere" is limited to the web.  There are flocks of URLs/URIs in
use outside the web, and there needs to be a very basic agreement of
whether the development of common methods for parsing and other
handling *across the web and non-web use cases* is a goal or a
non-goal.

My personal opinion is that it should be a goal, but the primary need
at this point it is to get that issue cleared up.

If we are going to end up seeing a fork of web-related identifiers
from the rest of URIs, we will need a method for distinguishing the
two paths from the fork.  One of worst results of this would be
re-using the same terms for non-interoperable systems.   Bits of spec
lose framing context very easily, and if a phrase like "This slot
holds a URI" can't be an interpreted without working out which meaning
of URI is at issue, the result will be, to quote Sir Topham Hatt,
"confusion and delay".

My two cents, without any hats on,

Ted Hardie