Re: big5 and big5-hkscs

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:26:47 +0200
To: "Shawn Steele" <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:56:26 +0200, Shawn Steele
<Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com> wrote:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnste/archive/2007/03/12/cp-951-hkscs.aspx
> By default, no, HK and other machines are the same.  We used to provide
> a hacked code page as an optional file for HKSCS support, which used a
> hacked CP950 (aka CP951) and installed that as CP950.  That provided
> HKSCS glyphs by reusing some of the PUA code points.
> We recommend people convert from that mechanism to Unicode, using the
> tool you found to convert from the UTF-16 PUA to UTF-16 HKSCS.
> What is actually found on the web, I have no clue.  Pretty much any
> CP951 encoded data isn't going to be very portable.  Our recommendation
> would be for people having such content to convert to UTF-16 (or maybe
> UTF-8).

Thanks, this is awesome. Is there public documentation on the PUA code
point to Unicode code point mapping? I guess I can install the utility and
write some software around it to extract the mapping table, but I'm not
very familiar with writing software on Windows.

Anne van Kesteren