Re: showAlert() patch

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:33:20 +0200
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:49:37 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>
>> Re http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20120604#l-615
>
> Site is down.

[[
13:29	zcorpan	Hixie: the file-spec-bug thingie in the spec dialog saying
that the bug was filed (with a link) often doesn't appear for me (maybe
because i switch tabs while it's doing its thing and then decides i don't
want to see it anymore, or i dunno)
13:30	zcorpan	Hixie: i think you made it fragile and disappear-for-nothing
after i complained that i wanted "enter" to dismiss the dialog instead of
filing a new bug
13:30	zcorpan	Hixie: but i'm afraid you didn't fix what i wanted and
instead made it worse :-P
16:49	Hixie	zcorpan: patches welcome
]]
http://logbot.glob.com.au/?c=freenode%23whatwg&s=4+Jun+2012&e=6+Jun+2012

> Why would we want to do this?

The current behavior is really annoying. I often want to copy the bug URL
and paste it somewhere else, but with the current setup, often the dialog
disappears for me, sometimes before I get to see it at all (either because
I happen to scroll just when the dialog appears, or because I switch tabs
back and forth, or something else). When it's gone and I wanted the link,
I need to go to bugzilla and search for the bug, which is pretty time
consuming (so defeats the purpose of the widget, it's supposed to make it
quick to file bugs).

>> The script is inline in the spec. In the showAlert() function, just
>> after the
>> line:
>>
>>       document.body.appendChild(currentAlert);
>>
>> add:
>>
>>       x.focus();

This makes it trivial to close the dialog (just hit enter or space).

>> also change:
>>
>>   window.addEventListener('keydown', function (event) {
>>     if (event.keyCode == 27) {
>>       if (currentAlert)
>>         closeAlert2();
>>     } else {
>>       closeAlert();
>>     }
>>   }, false);
>>
>> to:
>>
>>   window.addEventListener('keydown', function (event) {
>>     if (event.keyCode == 27) {
>>       if (currentAlert)
>>         closeAlert2();
>>     }
>>   }, false);
>
> That would make the dialog not start to fade out when you hit a key. Why
> would we want that?

I might be hitting keys for reasons other than wanting to close the
dialog. (The fading doesn't happen in Opera, btw.)

>> and remove:
>>
>>   window.addEventListener('scroll', function (event) {
>>     closeAlert();
>>   }, false);
>
> That would make the dialog not start to fade out when you scroll, why
> would you want that?

It makes the dialog go away when I don't want it to.

> Having the dialog still up after you've filed a bug
> is really annoying when you're trying to read the spec.

It's pretty easy to close with the patch applied.

Alternatively, make the dialog non-modal and just include the link at the
bottom of the screen or something. It's the link I want.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software