protovis for schema.org visualization

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:08:28 +0200
To: Ed Summers <edsu@loc.gov>, Mo McRoberts <mo@nevali.net>, William Waites <ww@styx.org>, Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
Ok tool chain is getting a bit silly, but hey...
Ed - I know you like protovis, so copying you here

http://foaf.tv/tellyclub/schema.org/protovis-3.2/ex/dendrogram-full.html
shows protovis layout of the schema hierarchy from schema.org (via
perl parsing microformats then Mo wrote some I-think PHP to generate
the JSON).

The JSON is in the poorly named file at
http://foaf.tv/tellyclub/schema.org/protovis-3.2/ex/flare2.js

I believe various of the hierarchy tools in
http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ex/ can consume this json, not just
the dendrogram example I copied

I've never messed with protovis before, so this demo is pig ugly. I
thought it could be good basis for an 'at a glance' overview of
schema.org. And later, maybe, to show other classes from other schemas
and where they plug in to the schema.org tree.

Hmm http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ex/tree.html ?
http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ex/tree-full.html
... OK I'll try that layout quickly too: see
http://foaf.tv/tellyclub/schema.org/protovis-3.2/ex/tree-full.html ...
and yeah ok it doesn't fit on the screen and feels more like an
art-tech experiment, but still I think we could be on to something
here.

thinking out loud,

Dan