Re: An HTML5 logo

From: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:48:40 -0800
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
Hi,

> Today W3C introduced an HTML5 logo for public consideration:
> http://www.w3.org/News/2011#entry-8992

While, like Jeremy, I'm not crazy about the intended use of the logo
as a catch-all for the open web platform, I think it looks really
sharp. Well done! There's one bit in your announcement to the working
group that confuses me, however:

> The W3C Communications Team is excited about the HTML5 logo, developed
> with community support, and hopes it will help you promote your work.

This announcement email was the first I had heard of the logo. Now,
it's entirely possible that there are significant fora on the Internet
in which HTML5 is discussed that I'm unaware of or in which I don't
participate, but I think I've got a pretty good handle on what's being
discussed in the community. And, well, this logo wasn't discussed in
the community prior to its announcement today. So I'm not sure how you
can say that it was developed with community support.

That said, and with the caveat regarding its FAQ furthering the
confusion around what HTML5 is and isn't, I look forward to this logo
being embraced by the community.

Ted