Re: Please explain the role of the W3C in the continuing development of HTML

On 16 Feb 2011, at 12:59 PM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:

[snip]

>> That's the request and the void that needs filled - please, all of
>> you
>> in HTML land, work it out soon, whatever concessions have to be made.
>> Even if the current status-quo of "HTML 5" LC through to REC in 2014
>> stays, and the "Living Standard" stays, at least get a semi stable
>> beta
>> channel up there on /TR/, updated quite regularly (3 month rule
>> please)
>> and point to it from all angles as a reference for the rest of us.
>
> I'd like to understand your view of the 80% a bit better.  I would
> like W3C to address this group, and in my view they are indeed well
> addressed by having a more agile process with releases that are far
> more frequent than today.  But I don't think that the 80% will
> suffice with something that is only semi stable - and I don't think
> that 80% needs something every 3 months.  So I would like to
> understand your thinking on this point a bit more.

Hi Jeff,

I think Nathan is referring to what we call the "heartbeat
requirement" or the 3-month rule in our existing process [1]:

  "It is important that a Working Group keep the Membership and public
informed of its activity and progress. To this end, each Working Group
SHOULD publish in the W3C technical reports index a new draft of each
active technical report at least once every three months. An active
technical report is a Working Draft, Candidate Recommendation,
Proposed Recommendation, or Proposed Edited Recommendation. Each
Working Group MUST publish a new draft of at least one of its active
technical reports on the W3C technical reports index [PUB11] at least
once every three months."

Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/groups.html#three-month-rule