Re: a help...

Richard,

this was a great help, thanks. I have tested this thing by starting a hg test server on my machine (with localhost) and see what is happening.

I think the only entry that is also needed and you forgot to say is: if you set up a new branch, you will have to say 'hg push --new-branch' the first time you, well, push the new branch. This is how the server will accept the new branch.

Do not worry about the wiki. What I did is to send your original mail and this one to www-archive@w3.org, and will add a pointer into the README.txt that we already have there.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Ivan

On Aug 29, 2011, at 20:55 , Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
> On 29 Aug 2011, at 19:24, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> I still tryto understand some intricacies of mercurial. So what are exactly the steps you had to take to produce the URI for the FPWD? I guess it has something to do with branches, but I am not sure? I would have thought that a branch is of interest for the full of depositorz, so wouldn't that affect, say, the rdf json part of the whole depository?
>
> The standard branch is called “default”. This is on the default branch:
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-concepts/index.html
>
> I created a new branch called “rdf-concepts-FPWD”. This is on that branch:
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/rdf-concepts-FPWD/rdf-concepts/Overview.html
>
> You are right, a branch creates a copy of the entire repository. So, the rdf-concepts-FPWD branch also has a copy of Turtle:
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/rdf-concepts-FPWD/rdf-turtle/index.html
>
> But I created that branch only for the purpose of preparing the HTML for the RDF Concepts document, so it doesn't really matter what else is on the branch. I intend to “close” the branch as soon as the FPWD is published, so that it doesn't clutter up the list of branches. For the second working draft, I'm planning to create a new branch. Other editors could create their own branches as well for each publication – that's one way of doing it at least.
>
> Here are some helpful commands:
>
> List all open branches:
> $ hg branches
>
> Show the branch that's checked out in your working copy:
> $ hg branch
>
> Switch your working copy to another branch:
> $ hg up -r rdf-concepts-FPWD
> Subsequent commits on that working copy will go into that branch.
>
> Switch back to the default branch:
> $ hg up -r default
>
> Create a new branch:
> $ hg branch rdf-concepts-FPWD
>
> Close a branch:
> (I'd have to google that)
>
> Merge another branch into your working copy:
> (I'd have to google that. We may never need that, since changes on the branch should only be the things we do to prepare for publication, like updating SOTD and dates, and these changes shouldn't go into the default branch.)

> [...]

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153