Re: Mozilla Proposal for HTML5 Spec Licence

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Danny Ayers wrote:
> On 14 April 2011 22:20, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > For developer-facing non-normative documentation, the WHATWG is likely
> > to continue using the term "HTML5" for some time, but it really has
> > nothing to do with the W3C draft.
>
> I'm curious, and so hope you will answer a direct question - who gains
> what from maintaining confusion through contradictory/ambiguous naming?

Authors gain, by more quickly recognising the developers.whatwg.org
document as what they are looking for. We (the WHATWG) try to minimise the
confusion on this matter, by explaining pretty much at every turn what the
terminology means and how it's used. For example, the very first section
of the developers.whatwg.org documentation describes this:

   http://developers.whatwg.org/introduction.html

That same section is also the first section of the HTML spec at the
WHATWG:

   http://whatwg.org/html#introduction

The FAQ goes on to some lengths about this:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#HTML5

The main site avoids the term altogether:

   http://www.whatwg.org/

We have blogged about it:

   http://blog.whatwg.org/html-is-the-new-html5

So I hope you will agree that we're not "maintaining confusion".