Re: Comments on draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-00.txt

* Ira McDonald wrote:
>>  http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-00.txt in
>> section 7 notes:
>>
>>  IPPS URIs MUST use [RFC3986] encoding, as do their equivalent HTTPS
>>  URIs [RFC2818].  Characters other than those in the "reserved" set
>>  [RFC3986] are equivalent to their ""%" HEX HEX" encoding.
>>
>> This does not work as a definition as the %xx encoding encodes octets,
>> not characters. You would have to specify the character encoding to
>> encode characters.
>
><ira>
>I propose to delete the second sentence above (verbatim from RFC 3510).
></ira>

For new schemes textual data should be encoded using the UTF-8 character
encoding, this is already mandatory for the `host` part per RFC 3986 and
recommended for path and query if they represent textual data. If those
components carry textual data, there would need to be a discussion of
that in the document. I am not sufficiently familiar with the scheme and
how it is used in practise to make a recommendation beyond that.

> In section 6 it would be useful to clearly identify the registry, e.g.
>> by referencing the BCP number for RFC 4395.
>>
>> <ira>
>Right - of course - I'll fix section 6 and the Normative References too.
>I believe it's preferable to say just '[BPCxxx]' inline and leave the RFC
>number for Normative References - is that right?
></ira>

That is what I would do, yes.

>In section 4.5 the ABNF lacks two closing "]".
>>
>> <ira>
>Oh please, line numbers and/or quotes?  Thanks for looking at the ABNF.
></ira>

The text is

  ipps-uri = "ipps:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ path-absolute [ "?" query

so it needs to end in "] ]". Also note that RFC 3986 changes the host
production to permit the empty string. You would either need to disallow
that or specify what it means if the host is the empty string. A common
interpretation is that the empty string refers to "localhost" e.g. the
"file" scheme does that. (You could define that the semantics are unde-
fined).