Re: registering the "up" link relation in new link-relations registry

On 6 Oct 2010, at 15:07, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 06.10.2010 15:53, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

>>   Provides a link to a document giving the context for the current
>>   document.

I like that it is vague enough to be used on a case-by-case basis, but I don't understand why it has been reworded for this second registration.

The original description was:

	"Refers to a parent document in a hierarchy of documents."

This wording was chosen to fit with the other wordings:

	http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml

Was the description reworded to match a rewording of the other related registrations?

> Note, in <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/links.html#link-type-up>:
>
> "The up keyword may be repeated within a rel attribute to indicate the hierarchical distance from the current document to the referenced document. If it occurs only once, then the link is leading to the current document's parent; each additional occurrence of the keyword represents one further level."
>
> Related WG issue: <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/119>.

I was aware of this definition when I made the registration request, which probably accounts for the choice of "a" instead of "the" — however, I am agnostic on the issue.