Re: Guessing geographical locations for Wikipedia article subjects

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 20:05:49 -0400
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

Very very interesting study. Pushing the idea a bit further, I was
thinking about the geometry of wikipedia itself.

Le 18 juin 2010 à 16:58, Bjoern Hoehrmann a écrit :
>  Many Wikipedia articles have associated geographical coordinates. That
> is however usually limited to stationary objects, even though many more
> things have a very strong connection to a particular region, a regional
> tradition for instance. In order to associate some location with more of
> the articles, some method to derive them is needed.

In your work you are trying to get real geolocation of articles (if I
understood correctly). I was wondering now about two possible interesting

* Plotting a dot for each geo-localized article on a world map.
  That would give a kind of coverage of where are the things we talk
  about on Wikipedia. This could also create cartogram map where the
  density of article shapes the map rendering.

* Distance between articles.
  What are articles situated at 10km around from this article X? The
  knowledge is then expressed in terms of distances.

Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada