Re: Developer and Public Editions Re: Differences between the W3C and WHATWG specifications

On 19 Jun 2010, at 7:52 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Thanks for joining in Ian! ;-)
>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:42:50 +0200, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
>> People who are following work closely want the freshest information
>> possible. That includes mailing list discussions, specs, and so
>> forth. Those who are leading the way expect people following close
>> behind to keep up. ("What? You didn't read my proposal from last
>> Thursday in time for Monday's call??")
>>
>> Other people can't keep up or that's just not their priority. I
>> think it would be useful for the group (as the TAG used to do) to
>> publish a monthly summary of key decisions, changes, milestone
>> updates, and so on. That summary would be very helpful to some,
>> even if it were only a rough approximation of the truth.
>
> Making the Hypertext CG public would go some way towards that.

Or at least public summaries.

>> For specs, I love Editor's drafts. I also think that snapshots are
>> very useful, especially during review periods, since managing
>> expectations with a moving target during a review is a challenge.
>> So snapshots at LC, CR, PR are all helpful.
>
> It would be interesting to know when exactly it is found useful to
> read a draft that is no longer current. It is certainly useful to
> know the history of a draft, but version control systems help with
> that.

The utility is not in reading something that is out of date. It is in
everybody being on the same page for a specific purpose and for a
limited duration. While it's possible to manage a review of an
evolving document, I find that it is way more complicated.

>> I have not yet investigated why CSS 2.1 has not been updated lately.
>
> The reason is that we would either have to go back to Last Call or
> publish errata. Either way would involve quite a bit of work. (If I
> remember correctly; this was discussed a while back.)

I guess I should look into the situation; I'll check in with Philippe.

>> Anne and Henri, would you be available for a phone chat to talk
>> about this task force we're running? Karl, you can come too if you
>> want ;)
>
> Apart from my cellphone I do not really have anything I can use at
> the moment to make a call. Well, I do have Skype, but it is not
> working great.

In person would be good too, but that's no making things easier...hmm,
well I guess we can continue by email and IRC.

But not today...

  _ Ian