W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-archive@w3.org > June 2010

Re: Change Proposals, objections, and the Decision Policy

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 02:33:06 +0200
Message-ID: <4C181BC2.8000307@lachy.id.au>
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Process discussion, taking off-list.
-public-html
+www-archive

On 2010-06-14 18:32, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> When the Chairs review survey responses on an issue, we also
> carefully study the Change Proposals submitted and most particularly
> the rationale sections. If you look at the Working Group Decision for
> ISSUE-76
> (<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/att-0218/issue-76-decision.html>),
> each point of rationale in each submitted Change Proposal was
> explicitly addressed. For the recent round of decisions, we also
> carefully reviewed Change Proposal rationales, but we commented on
> them in a somewhat more cursory way.

To the casual reader, the Microdata decision was written in a way that 
gave the appearance of it being an objective analysis, and I have no 
doubt that that was your sincere intention when it was written. 
However, the rationale presented merely mentions the arguments and 
counter arguments as if they were somehow equal, while failing to 
consider the validity or technical strength of the arguments presented 
in the final decision.

Not all arguments are created equally and don't automatically balance 
out merely because they contradict each other.  Yet that is how that 
Microdata  decision clearly evaluated the respective positions. 
Effectively, the result merely counted up the number of arguments listed 
for and against, saw that there appeared to be 1 more in favour of 
splitting, and thus ended up with the wrong decision being made.

To be clear, I'm writing the following to highlight exactly why I 
consider that to be the case with the microdata decision.  I'm not 
writing this in an attempt to reopen the issue at this time (and I held 
back from writing this months ago) because I believed that continuing to 
fight this one decision would be less productive than moving on.

However, given the current dysfunctional state of the WG and the clearly 
and catastrophically failing decision process that keeps making the same 
mistakes, I feel it's time to speak up.

 From the Microdata decision:
> One argument presented was that "All good specs which integrate with
> HTML5 should, ideally, be a part of HTML5." Other Working Group members
> disagreed. They pointed out that this appears to contradict our position
> that HTML5 enables extension specs - are we saying that nay such spec is
> by definition not good?

The latter argument here is wrong because it fails to take into account 
the fact that extension specs are merely permitted because they allow 
independent editors to work on entirely separate specs, who don't have 
access to HTML5 spec itself.  There is a big difference between 
permitting and requiring.  There is nothing that requires a new feature 
to be written as an extension spec - indeed, many new features are 
included in HTML5 and are not written as extension specs.

The argument also fails to take into account that Microdata and the rest 
of HTML5 share the same editor, and are in fact edited in the same 
source document.  And so there is no technical reason to require a 
separate specification either.

So, if we're going to keep a tally, that's 1 point to merging, 0 to 
splitting.

> Another way of framing the point was in terms of Conway's Law - that
> by splitting the spec we will make technology reflect organization, and
> thus weaken integration and lead to the specs using workarounds to work
> together. Relatedly, it was mentioned that Microdata might in theory
> even be moved to another Working Group. But it was pointed out that, as
> applied to Microdata, the Conway's Law and separate WG arguments are
> purely hypothetical - it's demonstrably possible to split Microdata in
> its current form without any technical changes, to keep it in the same
> working group, and indeed even to keep the same editor as with other
> HTML5 spinoff specs.

There are 2 arguments intermingled here:
1. Splitting will weaken integration
2. Microdata could be moved to another WG.

The decision correctly dismisses the latter as hypothetical.

Tally: Merging: 2 points, Splitting: 0 points.

The former, however, wrongly assumes that just because it's possible to 
do somthing on a technical level, that the same level of integration 
will be maintained.  The fact is that the level of integration is 
lowered because the separate Microdata spec has to explicitly override 
specific sections (the element content models) in the HTML5 spec in 
order for the integration to work.  This leads to misleading situation 
for implementers, particularly validator implementers, who must read 2 
independent specs to determine the content models for elements.

Tally: Merging: 3 points, Splitting: 0 points.

> Indeed, some argued that Microdata may already be affected by
> Conway's law, due to being part of the spec part of the spec. For
> example, it doesn't work with content from other namespaces such as
> SVG or MathML.

The decision here completely ignored the arguments about that being by 
design, and not a design flaw per se.  There is also no direct 
correlation shown between splitting the spec and changing that decision, 
and nor was there any correlation between that design decision and the 
initial drafting of the feature within the spec.  In fact, even with the 
current split, the design decision against being usable with MathML and 
SVG elements is still in place.  So again, that argument for splitting 
is invalidated.

Tally: Merging: 4 points, Splitting: 0 points.

> Another response was that separate specifications which are reviewed
> and maintained by the HTML WG can be an equally good or even better
> approach.

That argument is presented without any justification for that position. 
  In fact, experience shows that having features in separate specs 
reduces the amount they get reviewed by people focussing on the main 
spec, and so again, that argument is invalidated.

Tally: Merging: 5 points, Splitting: 0 points.

> Some argued that having the Microdata specification separate from the
> HTML5 specification will allow the technologies to evolve
> independently from HTML5. But others pointed out that this could
> actually be a problem - Microdata and HTML5 being published
> separately may leave them out of sync.

The decision here correctly invalidates the first argument with the 
counter argument, and yet still wrongly ends up considering these 
arguments as balancing each other out.  Although we - implementers - are 
largely insulated from this issue because they share the same editor and 
do live together in the WHATWG copy.

Tally: Merging: 6 points, Splitting: 0 points.

> Another specific point raised was that a smaller core document
> facilitates better review of the parts that are truly essential to
> review.

This makes the false assumption that Microdata somehow isn't an 
essential part to review.  It also fails to explain why having it is own 
section of the spec somehow impedes the ability to review other sections 
of the spec, nor, conversely, why splitting it would somehow facilitate 
it. Nevertheless, the following:

> But the case was also made that inclusiveness promotes greater
> attention to each part, and that for potentially split sections,
> being part of the main standard will attract more review attention.

... is a successful counter argument.

Tally: Merging: 7 points, Splitting 0 points.

> A number of WG participants argued in general terms that the spec was
> "bloated" or "large enough", and that it was good to split anything
> that should be split. The principle of orthogonality was cited. But
> other participants pointed out that modularity is not always good.
> Sometimes it makes a technology more general at the expense of focus.
> As a middle ground, though, creating a separate spec with the sole or
> primary aim of use with another spec can still be provide some of the
> benefits of both.

Neither of those arguments are particularly compelling in their own 
right, neither for or against splitting.  Though it's difficult to see 
how it was considered rational to state, based on those weak arguments, 
that splitting the spec is some kind of middle ground that provides some 
unexplained benefits.

> On the whole, these lines of argument seemed balanced against each
> other and therefore inconclusive.

With the current tally at 7-0, I find that claim to be astoundingly 
inaccurate.  Yet it only goes to show what I said earlier about the 
validity and technical strength of the arguments not being taken into 
account.

> Another point raised was the idea that Microdata is an intrinsic
> "part of the language", the same as any other extension mechanism in
> HTML5, such as @class, @id, @title, etc. This line of argument makes
> the case that it doesn't make sense to split out Microdata but not
> other features, because it's just as much part of the language. But
> other WG members argued that Microdata is relatively orthogonal and
> separable - while it has dependencies on other parts of HTML, other
> parts of HTML mostly don't depend on Microdata. Some went so far as
> to call it circular reasoning to argue that Microdata should be part
> of HTML because Microdata is part of HTML.

When presented as a straw man argument like that, it has the appearance 
of circular reasoning.  But the statement fails to distinguish between 
the HTML specification itself and the HTML vocabulary.

Microdata was developed as part of the HTML vocabulary to address the 
metadata related use cases and problems that HTML didn't adequately 
address already.  So the real reason is: "Microdata should be part of 
[the HTML specification] because Microdata is part of [the HTML 
vocabulary].", which is clearly not circular reasoning.

Tally: Merging: 8 points, Splitting: 0 points.

> Some poll participants argued that Microdata is out of charter, at
> least as Rec-track work. The argument goes that the charter doesn't
> say the working group is allowed to actually add additional
> vocabularies, only to develop an extensibility mechanism. However,
> this does not seem to be well-founded in the charter. Even though the
> charter gives RDFa as an example of a vocabulary that could be added
> via an extensibility mechanism, RDFa is also an extensibility
> mechanism itself, a way of adding vocabularies, and the charter does
> not rule out adding RDFa, or something similar, directly. Thus, the
> charter does not appear to rule out working on Microdata or HTML+RDFa
> entirely, whether in the main spec or in a separate draft.

Correct.

Tally: Merging: 9 points, Splitting: 0 points.

> There has been considerable discussion about the comparative
> technical merits of RDFa and Microdata. Microdata advocates argue
> that Microdata has many technical advantages. It is simple for common
> cases and only complicated in rare in complicated cases. It has
> defned conversation to XML and JSON, has a DOM API, and has various
> other good properties. It avoids the potential confusion of CURIEs
> and namespaces. The Microformats community has shown that there is a
> demand for embedding machine reasonable metadata in HTML, but that
> many of the built-in extensions are lacking. Microdata, it is said,
> can fill this gap. RDFA advocates concede that Microdata has
> significant strengths, but counter that many of the advantages of
> Microdata can and will be replicated in RDFa, in RDFa 1.1.

While that assessment of Microdata vs. RDFa seems reasonable, neither 
makes a compelling argument on the splitting issue.

> Some also deny the importance of some of Microdata's features, for
> instance they may argue that namespace prefixes are not in fact
> confusing. Conversely, RDFa advocates argue that RDFa has some
> important technical advantages. RDFa is more complete, and in some
> cases Microdata may be *too* simple. For example it lacks
> multi-language support. RDFa support the follow-your-nose principle
> and semantic object validation and has various other advantages. And
> it's reported that much of the community that provided the use cases
> driving Microdata is not satisfied with the result, and prefers
> RDFa. Overall Microdata proponents say that Microdata is valuable
> because it is mostly inspired by existing technologies but overcomes
> their flaws. Conversely, RDFa proponents say that Microdata isn't
> exciting because its main feature is not being RDFa, and RDFa is a
> superior technology because it is well-established. It seems a case
> can be made for technical advantages for each technology. There is
> not consensus to declare either as unquestionably superior, and
> declaring either to be clearly inferior would draw strong
> objections.

The question of which technology - RDFa vs. Microdata - is independant 
from the issue of whether ot not Microdata should be included within the 
spec while it is still being maintained.  (If Microdata fails in the 
market place, then the feature would be dropped entirely, not simply 
split out to a separate spec, but at this stage its too early to tell.) 
  In any case, there were no relevant arguments presented here, either 
for or against splitting.

> It's been pointed out that if Microdata was published as a separate
> spec, it might be reusable in other markup languages, it could be
> used in other markup languages to provide semantic markup. The
> likelihood that it would be adopted by other markup languages (like
> SVG, ODF, or Docbook) might increase because it will no longer be
> viewed as an HTML5-only technology. Some respondents counter that
> Microdata is not reusable in non-HTML languages in its current form,
> limiting the utility of a split out spec.

This is effectively a repetition of the earlier argument regarding use 
with SVG and MathML.

> They also argue that being HTML-specific is good; it can be focused
> enough to work well for one particular domain. Making it more general
> might reduce its value for HTML. However, it was pointed out that
> being HTML-specific does not even make Microdata fully applicable to
> HTML5 documents, which can also include SVG and MathML. Also, the
> partial reliance on HTML5-specific features, such as <time> or
> <meta>, does not preclude making the more generally applicable
> constructs usable for other languages. It seems plausible that a
> split-out Microdata could continue to have first-rate HTML
> integration but also be usable from other languages. This possibility
> seems like an advantage for Microdata in a separate spec.

Although this is also a repeat of the earlier argument, I just want to 
stress the fact that even with the current split, Microdata is still 
being maintained as an HTML specific technology, and there is no sign of 
that changing.  Therefore, the above argument for splitting is purely 
based on a hypothetical situation and not valid.

Tally: Merging: 10 points, Splitting: 0 points.

> Another important question was whether Microdata is mature enough.
> It's been argued that HTML+Microdata should be allowed to become a
> mature draft before consensus on inclusion or dismissal is discussed.
> A productive way to enable that maturation process is to separate the
> work into a separate document. Advocates of keeping Microdata in
> argue that it's not currently in a state of flux, and if necessary,
> Microdata can be removed at any time. They point out that HTML5 has
> historically not followed the model of keeping sections separate if
> they are not sufficiently mature. And indeed, Microdata is arguably
> relatively mature compared to other parts of the spec, including some
> parts that are not controversial for inclusion.

Correct.

> The counterpoint is that true maturity would include implementation
> experience, extensive feedback based on authoring and deployment, and
> relative lack of strong disagreement. But at this time Microdata has
> low adoption and has not seen significant adoption among authors, or
> much implementation in UAs ordata mining tools. Advocates for
> splitting Microdata point out that while it may turn out to be the
> best solution, it is currently unproven. And if it turns out to
> cause problems down the road, then it would be unfortunate to have
> the HTML5 spec saddled with it.

This is nonsense because all new features start out as unimplemented 
drafts, and there are still features that have been in the spec for much 
longer than Microdata but not yet implemented by browsers.  So as an 
argument for splitting, it's an extroadinarily weak argument, basically 
saying that we shouldn't work on new features because the new features 
haven't been implemented yet.  If that were a valid reason, then we 
would have stopped work on all new features long ago and we'd be getting 
nowhere.

Tally: Merging: 11 points, Splitting 0 points.

> It seems debatable whether Microdata is one of the least mature
> things in the spec. But it does seem clear that it does not have the
> maturity level of features inherited from HTML4, or even newer but
> widely implemented functionality such as <canvas> or <video>. Being
> unproven is not necessarily a strong objection to inclusion by
> itself, but it's worth considering along with other factors.

At least the decision admits here that it was a rather weak counter 
argument, and yet somehow still seems to reach the conclusion that it 
all balances out.

> Many WG members have discussed the relative marketplace success of
> Microdata and RDFa. As has been pointed out, RDFa has significant
> deployment success - data mining tools from Google and Yahoo use it,
> it is used by Drupal, and it is published by such organizations as
> the UK government, the Library of Science and Best Buy. On the other
> hand, Microdata has no significant deployed history or implementation
> yet. Thus, Microdata may fail in the marketplace. If Microdata fails
> in the marketplace, in the long-term, it may be advisable to allow it
> to fail without having a negative impact on the HTML5 spec proper.
> Advocates for keeping Microdata argue that while it is true that
> either RDFa or Microdata (or both) may fail in the marketplace, we
> should as a working group give the most support to the technology we
> most believe should succeed in the marketplace. Whether we should be
> picking winners in this way is controversial.

The question of RDFa vs. Microdata is not relevant to the question of 
whether Microdata should continue development as part of the HTML5 spec 
or independently.

> So perhaps one of the most important points in this discussion is the
> next one: should the W3C pick a winner in this particular
> competition, or let nature take its course?

That question is red herring because the issue isn't about picking a 
winner.  The real issue here was that of letting each technology reach 
maturity in the way that best facilitates its development.  This also 
happens to be the one issue I'm aware of that was missed in this decision.

It also follows then that the arguments concerning whether or not the 
competition between RDFa and Microdata should occur are not particularly 
relevant to the question of splitting, since either way, they would 
still be competing with each other.

> [...] Still others say that a winner is not yet clear, and we don't
> have consensus, so we shouldn't pick a winner. They do not want to
> see a particular format locked in, and would like to see them set up
> on an even footing.

There was no justification given for the belief that that having both 
Microdata and RDFa in their own independent specs somehow helps to 
provide an even footing.  It was just assumed that having Microdata 
presented as part of HTML5 would somehow give it some unfair advantage 
over RDFa.  But in reality, the only advantages come from the design of 
the technology itself, not where or how it is published.

This is also countered by the fact that, by splitting the spec, the 
Microdata proponents are forced to work on the spec in a way that is not 
conducive to its most effective development.  While this issue is 
somewhat mitigated by having Microdata in the WHATWG copy, the principle 
still applies, and readers of the W3C copy are at a placed at a 
disadvantage by it not being present.

Tally: Merging: 12 points, Splitting: 0 points

> Some argue that competition between RDFa and Microdata is not a big
> deal; RDFa is not so widely adopted yet, and writing a parser for
> both is not so hard. Thus, we shouldn't worry about whether the
> formats are left to compete on an even footing. Others do think
> competition is a problem, to the point that having both Microdata and
> RDFa as W3C specifications is not in the best interests of the web
> community at large. It was claimed that it's more productive for
> philosophically divergent communities (RDFa/Microdata) within a
> larger community (HTML WG) to have their own work products during a
> period of active debate. But on the other hand, Web Forms (relative
> to XForms) was cited as a possible counter-example, where we actually
> took Web Forms 2 from a separate spec to part of the draft. But
> others thought this was a bad example, because they felt XForms was
> actually technically superior.

The claimed technical superiority of XForms, even if that is true, is 
outweighed by it's obvious market failure in comparison with HTML Forms, 
and so that is not a valid counter argument.  But the issue of whether 
or not there should be competition between the two technologies is 
outweighed by the previous argument that the W3C cannot pick a winner. 
The only way then for the market to decide is to have a format war. 
This sucks, but it's the unfortunate result of divergent communities 
each pushing their own proposals and not giving in.  In any case, these 
arguments are not relevant to the issue at hand because the specs are 
competing regardless, and neither argument addresses the real issue.

> Thus, we see that, while many of the objections balance out, in some
> areas keeping Microdata would draw stronger objections than splitting
> it. The objections based on maturity, market success, and reusability
> in other languages are stronger than their respective counterpoints.
> As a result, the objections to picking a winner in this case are
> stronger than the objections to not doing so.

As I have clearly demonstrated, with a final tally of 12 to 0, the 
relevant arguments in favour of keeping Microdata in the spec were 
technically superior to those in favour of splitting it.  Yet as is 
plainly obvious, this decision chose to blatantly ignore technical 
superiority in favour of simply treating all arguments/counter arguments 
as equal and as balancing each other out.  Honestly, reading this 
decision was like reading a he-said/she-said debate that ended up with 
the one that was yelling the loudest winning.

So while, as I said above, I'm not asking that this issue be reopened at 
this time - what's done is done - I just wanted to emphasise the fact 
that the decision process so far has not been applied in way that, 
despite claims to the contrary, considers technical merit over the most 
vehement objections.  I do, however, hope that you will take these 
issues into serious consideration for future decisions that will be made.

-- 
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/
http://www.opera.com/
Received on Wednesday, 16 June 2010 00:34:07 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 7 November 2012 14:18:31 GMT