Re: [foaf-protocols] Standardising the foaf+ssl protocol to launch the Social Web

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:41:31 +0100
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
CC: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>, foaf-protocols@lists.foaf-project.org, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, Jeffrey Jaff <jeff@w3.org>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com>
Toby Inkster wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 10:30:36 +0200
> Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> - What are the benefits of using one over the other in the cases
>> where they overlap?
>
> One of the key FOAF+SSL benefits over OpenID is its RESTfulness.
>
> I can request a FOAF+SSL-secured resource using curl or wget. A typical
> OpenID exchange requires various redirections and form-filling, so
> cannot easily be achieved using command-line tools like this.
>
> This makes FOAF+SSL a more suitable authentication system for use-cases
> where requests will be made by software agents rather than people -
> e.g. securing a SPARQL endpoint or an API endpoint.

Further, you can guarantee every bit of information sent and received
whilst being identified is encrypted and forced to be over HTTP+TLS.

Those are two huge points that make the web RESTful, stateless and safe
(from a PID perspective) - not to be taken lightly.

Best,

Nathan