Re: ...and that URI

Raphaël Troncy wrote:
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/
>>

>> The W3C acknowledge the value of this stuff, no? So shouldn't it be
>> available (via redirect or whatever) from somewhere more like :
>>
>> http://w3.org/lod
>
> I guess you are not aware of the re-design of the W3C web site.
> Check the beta version of the upcoming SW page:
> http://beta.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/ (LOD is upfront :-)
> Cheers.
>
>   Raphaël

Raphael,

In the eyes of the W3C, is the Semantic Web a project or  not?

I ask becuase of this opening paragraph:

Semantic Web refers to a Web of linked data. These technologies enable
people to create data stores on the Web, build vocabularies, and write
rules for handling data. Linked data are empowered by technologies such
as RDF, SPARQL, OWL, and SKOS.

Which could have just read:

The Semantic Web Project refers to an initiative to evolve the current
Web into a more granular mesh of linked data items. This project is the
focal point of  technologies that enable people to create data spaces on
the Web. It also includes additional technologies and initiatives for
developing vocabularies, and inference rules that further enhance the
virtues of a Web of Linked Data.

Example technologies that have emerged from the Semantic Web project
include: RDF, SPARQL, OWL, and SKOS. Many of these technologies are
critical infrastructure components that power the Web of Linked Data.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO