Re: w3c-policy archives configuration issue

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 10:40:23 +0000 (UTC)
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Lisa Dusseault <lisa.dusseault@gmail.com>, "plh@w3.org" <plh@w3.org>, "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> On 05/09/2009, at 3:11 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > FYI, it looks like the configuration for the w3c-policy mailing list
> > was accidentally changed recently; in particular, the archives are now
> > password protected:
> >
> >   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/w3c-policy/current/index.html
>
> That was on purpose; that list is for administrative (e. g. call
> scheduling) and sensitive (e. g. W3c member-confidental) issues.

Oh, that's disappointing. The list was used for much more than just
administrative issues. It's unfortunate to see the IETF and W3C take steps
backwards in terms of transparency.

> The public list (used for all other matters) is public-ietf-w3c@w3.org.

That list hasn't seen any traffic since July, indeed it's only had
thirteen e-mails in the last five months, and only two of those were from
W3C staff. I think it would be a stretch to say that that list is used for
any matters, let alone "all other" matters.