Re: Proposed W3C Spec Conventions

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:35:21 -0800
To: www-archive@w3.org, Doug Schepers <doug@schepers.cc>
In <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Nov/0027.html> Doug Schepers wrote:

> I'm not the first one to suggest this (apparently Karl tried to push
> this earlier this year), but I really think it's time we establish some
> standardized style conventions for W3C specs.
 > Please see the attached, and send in counter-proposals or thoughts for
 > consideration.

Several comments so far:

   1. Implementing this should not break styling on existing specs.

   2. Defining Instance of Term has its own element, it's called <dfn>.
      Please use that and not <span><code>. If you're defining a bit
      of code, then <dfn><code> would be appropriate, otherwise not.

   3. For cross-referenced terms, if you think <a> is insufficient on
      its own, then per HTML5, I believe <i> would be the appropriate
      element to use there. Also, IMHO <code> should also be acceptable
      in place of <i> when marking up bits of code rather than bits of
      English.

   4. Use <code> for your code markup, not <span>. That means attributes,
      elements, values, etc.

      Did you know!? <code> can accept the 'class' and 'id' attributes.

~fantasai