RE: Uniform access to metadata: XRD use case.

(This is aimed at no one in particular)

My problem with this entire discussion is that it has no application context whatsoever. We should not design solutions that use the secret RFC2119 'IF YOU CAN' term.

I would argue that you should always offer a way to request just the metadata portion of a representation. The idea of asking for an entire 500Mb video file for the 1Kb metadata is extremely wasteful. This is completely application specific, and I reject any attempt to provides guidelines when embedded metadata is preferred over external one.

How can you tell without knowing how the application works? And the fact that some formats allows it, even if they are the prevailing common practice on the web, is irrelevant. Not all formats support the same mechanism, and not all use cases involve understanding anything about the resource representation at all.

I think it is premature to try and box metadata discovery into a recommendation at this point. We just don't have enough implementation experience. What we can and ought to do is to review individual proposals and make sure they are consistent with web architecture and do not violate existing protocols and practices.

I am offering one such method. As we have seen from passionate debates on this list, other people rather use conneg, embedded metadata, or custom HTTP methods. It is premature to pick a winner (if there is ever going to be one).

I hope the TAG will not attempt to "solve" this issue at this point.

EHL