Re: Does anyone like microdata?

Doug Schepers wrote:
> [...]
> share).  I frequently disagree not only with what he has decided, but
> how he has done so, and the rhetoric he uses.  So, I think I'm in a
> relatively good position to be objective here, in that I am --in some
> sense-- on your side.
>
> Reading through your email, the points you raise are all decent and
> reasonable.  You rightfully questioned whether Maciej had framed the
> question correctly, and the audience he selected, and whether he drew
> premature conclusions.  I also agree that we might consider giving
> people who don't comment on the list less weight than those who who
> do, because they aren't supplying rationales.  (However, we can also
> assume that for each of those who do speak up, there are others who
> feel like their own thoughts are represented by the opinions already
> expressed, and it's reasonable for Maciej to assume that there are
> more people who do like microdata.)
>
> So, overall, I agree with your points.
>
> But when I read your email, the thing that jumped out at me was not
> the salience of your critiques, but the tone.
>
> Phrases like, "I beg your pardon," "So I'm sorry", "their opinions are
> irrelevant", and calling out Maciej by name and repeatedly using an
> indicative "you"... all of these things strike an accusing, combative,
> dismissive tone.  Likewise, your sarcasm at the close put the cap on
> it; I have little doubt that it was merely intended as humor (and I
> admit that I've also used a similar sardonic tone), but such jokes are
> almost certain to fall flat in a tough crowd like this.  At this
> point, the HTML mailing list is a powderkeg, so you are more likely to
> get positive results if you simply take out the heated words and use a
> more objective tone.
>
> But it's not just the tone of one email.  This tends to have a
> cascading effect: when one email goes negative, that tends to beget
> more negative emails.  So, when someone reads that single email, they
> get a feeling a dread... they know that the rest of the thread is
> likely to be transformed into a battle zone.  You'll notice that none
> of the many replies to your email really discussed the issues, or even
> commented primarily (or at all) on the fine points you raised.  It
> veered off into negametaland.  I would much rather discuss your
> analysis on its merits.
>
> FWIW, I re-sent your email to my fiance to read over, giving her the
> impression that I wrote it.  She had exactly the same reaction I did,
> in exactly the same parts that I did; she said it sounded angry.  So,
> in this case, there was no bias about the gender of the writer, as you
> seemed to have suggested on Twitter.  (I sometimes have her read my
> emails for tone, and this has helped, especially when I'm passionate
> about an issue.)
>
> I'm writing this email because I think you have a keen mind and a
> valuable perspective, and I want to see the representation from "my

I appreciate the feedback Doug.

I will not deny I was angry at Jonas' email. And I'm not going to
apologize for being angry at his response, or anything I said in return.
Jonas' email was offensive.

My response, though, to Maciej was reflecting a defensiveness based on
other ongoing discussions. So I apologize to Maciej for coming across
as  confrontational.

As to comment as to tone that was made earlier, that was made to a
different thread. Again, I don't feel any inclination to apologize for
"tone" in that thread. I did regret the use of some words, because
they're trigger words. But I stand by everything else in that thread,
tone and all.

Note, also, that I don't belong to any side here. I've tried to make
that as clearly as possible, that I speak for myself, and only for myself.

Thanks

Shelley