Re: Does anyone like microdata?

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Shelley Powers<shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> For the record, besides the on-list testimonials, I've received some
>> off-list feedback indicating there are some others who like microdata but
>> would rather not say so directly on the list.
>>
>> Overall, it seems like microdata has an audience of positive advocates, even
>> though various people have reasons to dislike it.

[snip]

> So I'm sorry, but your search for feedback was extremely limited. I
> would suggest broadening it, or refraining from making any conclusions
> from the few feedbacks you have received.

The only conclusion that I see Maciej making is that microdata "has an
audience of positive advocates". It does not say anything about the
size of this audience, and does not say anything regarding if there is
consensus that it should be kept in.

It further does not say anything about if the audience is happy with
microdata as is, or if further technical discussions are needed.

> As for people who do not respond on the list, their opinions are
> irrelevant. Either people publicly commit their likes, or they go
> uncounted. That is fair and appropriate, do you not agree?

Why would people that say offlist that they are interested not count?
Sure, it would be hard to take their technical feedback into account
if we can't actually see their technical feedback, so their arguments
are severely weakened.

Or are you accusing Maciej or not being truthful?

> Otherwise,
> I've heard from thousands who feel positively ill at the sight of the
> microdata section. No really, they just don't want to commit online.

Have you really? If so that would be good feedback to get. If you are
just making stuff up I'm starting to understand why you have such
trust issues with other people on this list.

In general, I think you really need to stop your accusing tone on the
HTML list. It was good to see you in a recent email say that you had
been more critical of Ian than of his technical decisions. I had hoped
that that would have led to the conclusion to stop attacking people
personally and instead keep discussions on the HTML list to a
technical nature.

This is the work environment for a lot of people and you are causing
this environment to be very unpleasant at times.

Feel free to not agree with the technical decisions that people are
making. Do counter those with technical arguments of your own.

And feel free to disagree with the procedures that the working group
is currently using. Do discuss this in *separate* threads, and direct
them towards the *chairs* since they are the ones in charge of these
matters.

And feel free to have trust issues with people. But keep those *off the list*.

/ Jonas