Re: evidence of harm

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:59:17 +0900
To: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, 2009-06-25 09:40 -0500:

>  Sam Ruby:
>  "Meanwhile, Shelley has stepped forward and volunteered to edit both this
>  section and the section on semantic metadata.  Mike Smith has
>  indicated[3] that he is ready to set her up with write access to the
>  document repository to the group."
>  From my understanding, this is not direct editing access to the HTML 5
>  specification,

It is not direct editing access to the draft document for which
Hixie is an editor. As far as the HTML WG goes, the HTML 5
specification -- as Sam has outlined in previous messages --
constitutes whatever the working group ultimately reaches
agreement on publishing.

>  but nothing more than a repository where one can place
>  documents.

It's something more than that. It is a central shared space for
the working group and its members to manage their documents
together, with a means to have notifications automatically sent
out to a mailing list and to the #html-wg channel (and to twitter,
and wherever we want to sent them) any time anyone checks anything
into that repository. And a place where we are free to hook in
other such things to should be choose to.

> However, these documents do not have to reside in the document
>  repository in order to be considered. One need only make the involved
>  parties aware of the documents, wherever they reside.

True. But I don't recommend that our editors do that, because
doing so would mean they and we would lose the potential advantages
of the features of our repository that I mentioned above.

>  "The issue is not the ability to edit "a specification" it is the
>  ability of the "working group" to effect change of the html 5
>  specification."
>  Sam, you offer the ability to edit, not effect change.

I strongly believe that Sam has in fact outlined a plan for
affecting real change, not simply the ability to edit. But this
week's telcon is about to start, so I'll have to finish that
thought in another message.

Michael(tm) Smith