Re: evidence of harm

Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, 2009-06-25 09:40 -0500:

>  Sam Ruby:
>
>  "Meanwhile, Shelley has stepped forward and volunteered to edit both this
>  section and the section on semantic metadata.  Mike Smith has
>  indicated[3] that he is ready to set her up with write access to the
>  document repository to the group."
>
>  From my understanding, this is not direct editing access to the HTML 5
>  specification,

It is not direct editing access to the draft document for which
Hixie is an editor. As far as the HTML WG goes, the HTML 5
specification -- as Sam has outlined in previous messages --
constitutes whatever the working group ultimately reaches
agreement on publishing.

>  but nothing more than a repository where one can place
>  documents.

It's something more than that. It is a central shared space for
the working group and its members to manage their documents
together, with a means to have notifications automatically sent
out to a mailing list and to the #html-wg channel (and to twitter,
and wherever we want to sent them) any time anyone checks anything
into that repository. And a place where we are free to hook in
other such things to should be choose to.

> However, these documents do not have to reside in the document
>  repository in order to be considered. One need only make the involved
>  parties aware of the documents, wherever they reside.

True. But I don't recommend that our editors do that, because
doing so would mean they and we would lose the potential advantages
of the features of our repository that I mentioned above.

[...]
>  "The issue is not the ability to edit "a specification" it is the
>  ability of the "working group" to effect change of the html 5
>  specification."
>
>  Sam, you offer the ability to edit, not effect change.

I strongly believe that Sam has in fact outlined a plan for
affecting real change, not simply the ability to edit. But this
week's telcon is about to start, so I'll have to finish that
thought in another message.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith