Re: Request to Strengthen the HTML5 Accessibility Design Principle

- public-html
+ www-archive

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:
>>> I presume, from your e-mail, that you do not consider this to be
>>> debate:
>>>
>>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jun/0173.html
>>>
>>> Could you elaborate on why?
>> I believe that the following:
>>
>> |  > *	We need summary for backward compatibility.
>> |
>> |  HTML5 supports implementing the summary="" attribute for backwards
>> |  compatibility as currently written.
>>
>> ... is an example of what Laura describes as "selectively choosing those
>> points in a subject which happen to favor a position, while ignoring the
>> rest".
>
> What were the points that were ignored here?

The fact that summary is non-conforming.

>> Another, more recent, example is "The browser vendors are the ultimate
>> gatekeepers, of course".
>
> What points does this ignore? I don't understand.

The fact that no behavior is being asked of the browser vendors.

> (I've filed the remainder of your e-mail with other summary feedback; I'd
> like to focus on trying to understand exactly what I'm doing wrong before
> responding, since there's no point we responding if the way I do so is
> wrong.)

The remainder of my email was intended to demonstrate what I thought
would have been a response more conducive to continuing a dialog; my
preference as chair is to minimize the times when I actively take a
position myself.

Ian, you produce (and consume!) an immense amount of material.  The fact
that I was able to find something in the one email that you cited which
might be construed by some as being /incomplete/ (as opposed to *wrong*)
is not surprising.

Meanwhile, I failed to be explicit.  The fact that I did not comment on
the remainder of the post you cited is an indication that I believe that
it did further the dialog.

- Sam Ruby