Re: question about XML and HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:57:19 +0200
To: "Jonathan Rees" <jar@creativecommons.org>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:51:05 +0200, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org> wrote:
> This question sounds so stupid that I didn't want to ask it in public.
>
> Many web-related languages that have idiosyncratic syntax also provide
> an XML surface syntax. Examples are Turtle (RDF/XML), xquery, OWL 2
> (OWL/XML). To ensure that HTML5 can participate in XML pipelines in a
> standard way, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a standard XML
> surface syntax for HTML5, with semantics preserved over round trips?
> Perhaps this even could be done using a set of extensions to XHTML.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-xhtml-syntax.html

Already works fine in modern browsers for new elements such as <canvas>, <video>, etc.

There is also the following section for how an HTML byte stream maps to an infoset

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/syntax.html#coercing-an-html-dom-into-an-infoset

which I believe is implemented by the Validator.nu software.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/