Re: PROPOSAL: Procedure to Promote Progress With Accessibility Issues in HTML5

Shelley Powers wrote:
> [...]
>>

> Of which, no one knows about said document, unless you happen to
> follow the RDFa working group, or happen to catch it when it flew past
> in the HTML WG email list.
>
> But one can easily see the "editor's draft" of the HTML 5 document.
>
> Now, put these on a scale...oops! It just fell over.
>
>> My frustration is that more people haven't followed Manu's lead -- so far.
>>  Presumably, given time this will work out.
>>

> I wouldn't recommend anyone doing anything, until there is an
> assurance of parity.
>
>>> Laura's recent proposal is nothing more than a group of people trying
>>> to level the playing field. She certainly didn't submit it because it
>>> was fun to do so, and she has nothing better to do. Perhaps a little
>>> respect might have gone a little to reassure people that their
>>> concerns really do matter, rather than folks feeling like no matter
>>> what we submit, it will just get dropped into a black hole [1].
>> If she wishes to produce a document that gets listed on the front page, I
>> will ask Mike to provide her with CVS access, and once produced we can seek
>> a Decision.
>>

> Nope, nada, don't work. That scale just fell over again. I think we
> should seek a decision now. The two documents, WhatWG and Everyone
> Else. I think this is fair. The Everyone Else document can begin with
> a snapshot of the existing HTML 5 document, and then be edited through
> a collaborative process.
>
> Folks from the EE version can use additions to the WhatWG document,
> and vice versa. But when there is disagreement, then folks have a
> legitimate outlet for their work that will not be lost, back channel
> linked, ignored, or otherwise relegated to poor relative status.
>
> Didn't Michael Smith also deliver an alternative HTML 5 document? Now,
> I wonder where it is. And where is Manu's?
>
> What are the advantages? People can see, at a glance, where
> differences exist between the two groups. Rather than rehash and hash
> again in the email lists, edits can be made to whichever of the
> document.
>
> There may end up more than one document, but the point is, each has to
> be given parity. Same footing, same linkage, same level of respect.
> Otherwise, the dice is loaded, the game is lost, and all you're
> recommending is that people waste their time.
>
> Fair's fair. If the WhatWG document is the superior document, let it
> compete in a level playing field.
>
>>> I know that Last Call is coming up, issues are being brought up again
>>> and again, we can't seem to make head way, and a lot of people are
>>> unhappy, and you most likely feel right in the middle of it, but blame
>>> the responsible people at the W3C for the problems, not us.
>>>
>>> My 2 cents worth, since this is the 2 cent email list.
>> Much appreciated.  Seriously.

>>> [1] http://www.cssquirrel.com/comic/?comic=28
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/
>
> OK, 4 cents worth. I don't have more than a nickel, so I've spent my allowance.

I realize that what I am about to say isn't directly responsive to what
you said, nor is it likely to win me any friends, but here goes (in no
particular order):

1) Where we are today is due in a large part to effort by the WHATWG in
general, and Ian in particular.  They closest we can come to a level
playing field is a draft-hixie alongside a draft-sporny or a
draft-faulkner or the like.  I won't pretend that anybody here as the
credibility that Ian has built up to date.

2) Documents to date have made it to FPWD on the basis of a vote.  I am
willing to try lazy consensus[3], but realistically it would not
surprise me if somebody were to call for a vote.

3) Manu has indicated a willingness to work with Laura, John, and Steve.
  For all I know that willingness may not be reciprocated, or may not
work out.  In fact, every indication I have seen is that Laura and John
would rather work on a process document than the spec itself.  If that
is indeed what they wish to work on, then I will support them as I have
supported Manu - separately.

4) Ideally, no special status would mean that authors would be able to
include material from each other, and Ian wouldn't be excluded from the
ability to incorporate suggestions from others.

5) Neither Mike nor Manu have yet to indicate that their respective
documents are ready for FPWD.

6) I can not guarantee that any document will gain consensus, including
Ian's.  Simply put, there is a small but distinct possibility that
everybody is wasting their time here.  Clearly, I wouldn't be devoting
my time here if I felt that were likely.

> Shelley
>
> [1] http://realtech.burningbird.net/semantic-web/semantic-web-issues-and-practices/survivor-w3c

- Sam Ruby

[3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#LazyConsensus