RE: Formal Objection to One vendor, One Veto

Silvia Pfeiffer [mailto:silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com] wrote:
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Chris Wilson<cwilso@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> However, the critical point here is that patent holders go after the money
>
>This is good to understand. So, if YouTube was to support Ogg Theora,
>then presumably Google would be a bigger target.

If YouTube were to put all their content up in Ogg/Theora, yes, they'd probably be a more interesting target - because you could work the chain backward to "any money made from YouTube".  Oh, wait.  :)

>I think patent roll calls are usually done within a standards body to
>get everyone who is involved in creating the standard to step forward
>and register their demands on the patent pool at the given time.

Right, but that's why organizations like the W3C have a Patent Policy, and Members have to agree to that policy - it's a commitment.  The broader world of potential patent holders haven't signed up to that.

>But it's an idea and it would be nice if there
>was a lawyer to comment on its potential.

The W3C has a legal team, I believe.. Dan or Mike, could you forward this?

-Chris