Re: PF Response: @Summary

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 18:58:21 -0400
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, "wai-liaison@w3.org" <wai-liaison@w3.org>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
Janina Sajka wrote:
> Ian Hickson writes:
>> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Janina Sajka wrote:
>>> PF responded on these questions formally. We would appreciate the basic
>>> human courtessy of acknowledgment.  If you don't like what we said,
>>> please speak to that. But kindly don't simply ignore us.
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/mid/20090604000217.GA2789@sonata.rednote.net
>> That e-mail received a reply some weeks ago:
>>
>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Jun/0027.html
>>
> Ian, this email appears to be from you, and appears to reflect your
> opinions. It does not appear this is a response from the HTML Wg.
>
>> Is there a formal reply to that e-mail?

Forgive me if I am not fully up to speed on what constitutes a formal
reply within the W3C; but I do believe that Ian's email meets the the
bar of "basic human courtesy of acknowledgement", and constitutes an
effort to "speak to that" and doesn't "simply ignore" you.

If there is any failing here, it isn't Ian's, but mine and Chris's.  As
far as the working group as a whole is concerned the status is that the
issue is being tracked as Issue-32.  The current status of that issue is
that progress is being gated by Action-128, which is assigned to Joshue
O Connor, and I believe that action is on track to have a draft of
voting text available on Thursday.

> No, we don't make formal replies to individuals.

My perspective is that it would aid progress if Ian's response got a
reply - that that reply need not be formal.  As it stands now, it
appears to me to be the one that hasn't been acknowledged.

In any case, I am not aware of any actions associated with issue 32 that
are gated on receiving such a reply, so don't consider this to be a
formal request.

> PS: I recall you were asked to substantiate the allegations you made in
> your email, specifically with respect to the "evidence" you claim. Where
> is that substantiation, please?
>
> Janina
>
>> --
>> Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
>> http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
>> Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

- Sam Ruby