Re: vCard RDF merge....

Hi,
Just to make sure: I understood there is consensus that the domain of
vcard:adr should be expanded from vcard:vcard to anything that can
reasonably have an address, e.g. persons, organizations, or locations.
Am I right? I think we discussed that before, but I cannot find a reference.

BTW, the Yahoo SearchMonkey doc does not specify a domain for vcard:adr

http://developer.yahoo.com/searchmonkey/smguide/vcard-details.html#vcard-adr

Best
Martin

Toby Inkster wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 12:55 +1000, Renato Iannella wrote:
>
>> 4 - We define mobileTel property but vCard calls this "cell" ?
>>
>> 5 - We define a mobileEmail and personalEmail and workEmail
>> properties, but there is no such semantics in vCard?
>>
>> 6 - I am not clear on the unlabeledAdr, unlabeledEmail, and
>> unlabeledTel properties we define? Are these to capture all the
>> "old"
>> types in vCard like bbs-tel, parcel-adr etc?
>> And, of course, we don't capture these as rdf properties in our
>> ontology?
>>
>> 7 - How to do handle vCard's preferred type? Ie I prefer my workTel
>> over my homeTel?
>>

> A while back I wrote a little RDF vocab that extended the 2006 vCard
> vocab. It introduces a few extra terms which I thought were useful,
> mostly taken from the vCard 4.0 drafts at the time. e.g. a "lang"
> property to indicate languages spoken by the person represented.
>
> One other thing it has though is a more vCard-like way of representing
> telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc.
>
> Instead of:
>
>  _:me a v:VCard ;
>       v:fn "Alice Smith" ;
>       v:workTel <tel:+44-7700-900123> ;
>       v:mobileTel <tel:+44-7700-900123> .
>
> It uses:
>
>  _:me a v:VCard ;
>      v:fn "Alice Smith" ;
>      v:tel [
>       a vx:Tel ;
>       rdf:value <tel:+44-7700-900123> ;
>       vx:usage "work" , "mobile"
>   ] .
>
> My primary motivation was to be able to represent the data in the hCard
> microformat in a way more closely related to the type+value structure of
> hCard communications devices.
>
> It's not perfect (it breaks the "range" of the 2006 v:tel, v:email and
> v:label properties; and vx:usage should probably take a non-literal
> value) but perhaps some of the ideas there could be incorporated into
> the merged RDF vCard. In particular it should address all of the points
> above.
>

>> 8 - I assume we don't  wish to support Bag, Seq, Alt anymore.....but
>> just support rdf:list?
>>

> I don't know why we even would want to support rdf:List?
>
> Rather than:
>
>  <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">
>    <v:note>
>      <rdf:Bag>
>        <rdf:li>Foo</rdf:li>
>        <rdf:li>Bar</rdf:li>
>        <rdf:li>Baz</rdf:li>
>      </rdf:Bag>
>    </v:note>
>  </rdf:Description>
>
> Just use:
>
>  <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">
>    <v:note>Foo</v:note>
>    <v:note>Bar</v:note>
>    <v:note>Baz</v:note>
>  </rdf:Description>
>
> rdf:List only becomes especially useful when you want to indicate that
> the set of values for a property is a closed set. The only useful
> [...]

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Tool for registering your business:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Tutorial materials:
Tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Tutorial_ESWC2009