Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

From: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 18:34:40 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>, robert@ocallahan.org, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
[www-archive]

On 7/6/09 6:11 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>
>> Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>
>>> I'm suggesting we make Theora the base codec endorsed by W3C and HTML.
>>> But leave Apple, and anyone else, free to implement additional codecs
>>> such as H.264.
>>>
>> I support this position. This is what the HTML5 draft stated when the
>> <video>  element was introduced. Bringing it back would heal the
>> community and improve interoperability.
>>

> It would do nothing to the level of interoperability we have, and it would
> only heal the community in the sense that giving presents to a child when
> he's upset helps "heal" the child. IMHO.

Hi Ian,

I think you are repeating yourself at this point.

- Rob