Re: PF Response: @Summary

From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 06:50:40 -0400
Cc: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, "wai-liaison@w3.org" <wai-liaison@w3.org>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
To: joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie
...and even a table that is correctly marked up needs an @summary.
It's just like writing a narrative.  if the author knows what te
intent of the table is, surely the author can narrate it?

On Jul 6, 2009, at 5:25 AM, Joshue O Connor wrote:

Hi Jim,

> What information should the summary contain that should *not* be in
> the headers or the caption?

The @summary should provide an overview of the relationships between
headers and data cells in complex tables. This would vary on a case by
case basis.

> Would the @summary purpose be better fulfilled by just ensuring that
> it was easy to read the headers as a sort a preview?

@summary should be used where tabular data relationships are unusual
(nested headers, data spanning multiple rows in a non uniform way etc.

> [I realize that not all tables are properly marked up with <th> -- but
> I'm assuming (incorrectly?) that authors who can't get that right are
> unlikely to get an invisible attribute right anyhow.]

Well, it may be relatively easier to write a more verbose description
(however inaccurate) of the table than to mark it up properly (but then
again I may be too close to the issue to objectively assess if this is
the case.

My 2 Cents

HTH

Josh