Re: "one web requirement" for widgets from December workshop

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
> On 27/1/09 13:02, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> I'm not convinced there is a need to explicitly capture such a
>> Motherhood and Apple Pie requirement?
>>
>> IMHO, the Design Goals as codified in the Reqs doc [1] e.g.
>> Compatibility with other standards, Interoperability, etc. are
>> sufficient. Agreed?
>
> May I offer a concrete coordination scenario / opportunity?
>
> Right now there are (at least) 2 major things called 'widgets' in the Web
> technology scene. Things that run embedded in Web sites / pages, and things
> that "run in a runner". For the latter, W3C Widgets are the best current
> bet; for the former, it seems that Google's OpenSocial platform is making
> fast progress, especially via the open source Shindig project at Apache.
> There is plenty of overlap. Both are built with html/js/css, and both need
> data and service APIs to be interesting. Widgets of both flavours will want
> to know things about people; on a phone, they might want to negotiate with
> the user to get information about location, or from the addressbook, or
> devices. On a Web site, the widget will want to know about the person whose
> page it's installed on, and the person viewing, and various other things. In
> this world, OAuth seems to be the main technology people are focussing on,
> both within OpenSocial and more broadly. I don't know of anyone who is
> simultaneously active in the OpenSocial and W3C Widgets scenes. I try to
> keep an eye on both, but it needs much more attention.
>
> I'm not sure what can be done about such divergence, but it's real and will
> cost money / time from those who are writing 'widgets' of both flavours. To
> get away from 'apple pie' generalities, would the W3C Widgets effort
> consider reviewing externally-produced technologies like OAuth, or is this
> conversation (which I'm jumping into middle of - sorry!) more about internal
> W3C dependencies?

We are happy to view them as we don't want to exclude them. My motto
for widgets is: "if a browser does it, then so shall we". W3C Widgets
will be built on browser technology, so if browsers support OAuth via
javascript or whatever, then there should be no problem.

Kind regards,
Marcos
--
Marcos Caceres