Re: Uniform access to metadata: XRD use case.

Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:
> Hello Pat,
>
> [Trimming to those that I think are the interested parties - by all means respond back on list if so motivated, publically archived just in case.]

Yes, or no.  Under a specific context, I won't object the distinction.
But on the very top level, I cannot make distinction.  That is the
problem.
> Taking a different example. The byte stream that I get back an HTTP GET request on
> http://dfdf.inesc-id.pt/misc/man/www2009_10_30.pdf doesn't seem so much as to 'describe' a particular document/manuscript, but to convey its current state. I might describe the manucript but making statements about its content, its authors, its history and so forth all of which would serve to (maybe) identify what document/manuscript I'm talking about. I could make such a description available as a web resource. It would have it's own awww:representations, however I think that they would hardly serve as awww:representation of the manuscript itself - though the description may serve to pol:represent the manuscript.

The choice of word is not important, what is important is the semantics
of the word.  I have made suggestions on TAG mailing list, as well as to
Patrick (Strickler), about using Quine's idea of ontological commitment
to avoid hypostasizing or reifying terminology for the purpose of a
specific theory or approach.  Take IR as an example.  If IR is defined
to be a resource that IS (but not "can be conveyed in") a bytestream,
then everyone would be very clear about it.  Hence, a provider would
know how to provide them and its client would know what to and should do
about them.  Defining things in subjective sense or even provide a
simple subsumption relationship is not useful for the purpose of clear
communication because, if A subsumes B,  unless both communicating
parties agree 100% on the boundary between B and A-B, mis-communication
is inevitable.  As Pat said, there could have some reasonable answers,
but please define it.  Whether it is right or wrong (in terms of if it
adheres to someone's intuition or not), in fact, doesn't really matter
as long as it is objective.  The purpose is to make the term pragmatic.

The same goes for the distinction between Representation and Description.
> [*] ok... there's been a bit of history around this particular deployment and the use of redirections and so forth http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes used to redirect to http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes.html which IMO was just as good as http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayesAbout.html though its a 302 rather than 303 redirection - I won't quibble - the spirit is there :-) .
>
> [**] many other referring names are used in the narrative that don't receive similar attention

The behavior is secondary issue.  Meaning, again by Quine, has
behavioral significance. If the meaning of a concept is ambiguous, it
incurred behavior will be unpredictable.  We need to know first what we
are designating a behavior to respond to what particular kind of
meanings, then we can decide if the behavior is appropriate. This goes
to httpRange-14, Link, MGET etc.  That is why I have repeatedly ask TAG
to reopen httpRange-14, they all boils down to the definition of IR.

I want to be clear that my insistence on a minimalist approach -- to
remove the definition of IR and to rethink Conneg -- is not (at least
not solely) because I think it is superior to other approaches. It is
much more so because I failed to find a working definition for IR and
Metadata/Description.  There is always gray areas in pretty much any
semantic domains.  When I trot upon these areas, I want a definite
guideline regardless it confirms to my personal intuition or not. But
there is none.  I welcomed IR/httpRange-14 first, but then revolted. I
initially (quite a few years back) proposed to LSID about if they should
consider defining their metadata as RDF. (This goes to you - Patrick
Strickler -- as you accused me of not doing enough homework), but I
later revolted again and think the whole idea of LSID is ill-conceived.

What makes me reverse my course? As I can now understand, the reason is
that when we are speaking at the higher level, there are only a few
words/concepts that we can use.  For the Web, there are only three
things that are clearly defined.  URI, awww:Representation, Resource.
According to the SIR model that I have used to define all information
system,

URI is the *Symbol*
awww:Representation the *Information*,
Resource the *Referent*.

Resource, is thus, what exists in the Web.  Existence, according to
Quine's definition, is the value of a bounded variable.  It is things
that has meaning or significance.

Representation is Information, which, as defined by Dretske, is
objective.  And Information must have structure, which, w.r.t. to the
Web, it is the format of awww:Representation.

Thus, when we talk about the Web, these are all the terminologies that
we have at our disposal.  Any other terminologies, such as IR, or Meta-,
Description etc. needs a concrete definition and could be used either a
small sub-system of the Web (hence making it unsuitable as a generic
design pattern for the Web) or someone needs to come up with a model
that making these concepts an essential component of the Web.

I wish this clearly outlined my position (so I won't be accused of
refusing to understand other's position).  Hopefully, it can also give
us a reasonable guideline for the subsequent debate if any.

Xiaoshu