Re: disinterested chairing [was Re: summary="" in HTML5]

I 100% support Sams actions here.

There is a real problem of a bad tone and distrust on the HTML mailing
list which has made me quite uncomfortable at times. In order to fix
this we need chairs to point this out and show that this is
unacceptable behavior.

If anyone suspects that someone on the list is acting out of malice or
not according to our goals (which includes ensuring that HTML is
accessible) then this problem should be raised in well formulated
emails in separate channels. Be that directly to the person himself,
to the chair, to Philippe, or even as a separate thread to the html
mailing list.

However underhanded comments in technical threads does no-one any
good. It just results in further mistrust and bad atmosphere on the
list.

I've certainly head plenty of disagreements with Hixie. Not
specifically in the area of accessibility (since I don't have enough
experience there to have strong opinions), but for example on XBL and
on API design. However I've never found that being accusing has ever
helped.

I do agree that Hixies arguments aren't always consistent. I urge you
to instead of assuming malice, simply point out the inconsistencies
and ask what he means. In some cases I'm sure it's because of
misunderstandings. In others simply errors on either side.

But if we can't have a civil tone and assume that everyone is working
with the best intentions to the best of their abilities I don't think
we'll be able to accomplish anything. Much less something as complex
as a new version of HTML.

/ Jonas