Re: RFC XML Index, URL of RFC

On 10 Feb 2009, at 08:47, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>> Hey,
>> Would it be at all possible to add some field to the index that
>> would give a location that the RFC could be retrieved from?
>> If not, I guess I'm gonna end up doing the really hackish solution
>> of just using <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfcxxxx.txt> (as well
>> as ./bcp/bcpxxxx.txt, etc.), but that is (sadly) the best solution
>> I can see.
>> All the best,
>> Geoffrey Sneddon.
>
> At <http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html>, I see:
>
> !Alternatively, if you do not have Javascript enabled you can type
> the following in the location field of your browser:
>
>   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfcNNNN.txt
>
> where NNNN is the RFC number prefixed with zeroes as necessary to
> make a four digit number."

However, that fails for some of the early RFCs which were only
published as PDF/PS (see <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8.pdf> for
example). Even trying to do things programmatically from the listed
format in the index doesn't entirely work, as there are some RFCs
which are simply unavailable.

Also, that URL doesn't allow to get specific BCPs, FYIs, and STDs.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>