Re: Decision Policy [was: Intended Audience]

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt 2009-02-01 03.30:
>> -public-html
>> +www-archive
>>
>> Sam Ruby wrote:
>>> The third word is "strawman".  It involves raising and addressing an
>>> issue that bears only a superficial resemblance to the topic being
>>> discussed.
>>
>> That is not the definition of a strawman.  A strawman is an argument
>> where one person misrepresents another's position so as to be easily
>> refuted.
>
> Avoiding the point(s), for the benefit of one's own point(s), but still
> making it seem as if one were on topic. That is a straw man.
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
>>
>> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>> Maciej Stachowiak 2009-01-31 22.55:
>>>
>>> Stating his disagreement. (Conditionally permitted by Sam.)

>>> Claiming to have stated his agreement.
>>>
>>> Sam:
>>>
>>> I see a "strawman".
>>
>> Sorry, that's not a strawman either.  Maciej was just pointing that
>> the he largely agreed with what Sam wrote, except for one small part.
>
> You (and Majiej) make it sound as if there is any difference between saying
>
>     "I disagree in point x."
> and
>     "I agree, except in point x."

My guidance was inconsistent.  "give each other the benefit of the
doubt" vs. "call them out when you see them".  I'd suggest we would all
benefit from giving the former a bit more weight than the latter.

One thing that may also not be clear here: "I think it is helpful to the
group to see people coming to agreement" is a making a subtle point that
Maciej sees "coming to an agreement" a subclass worth distinguishing
from "if you agree".

And, you know what?  I tend to agree.

Peace.

- Sam Ruby