Re: Decision Policy [was: Intended Audience]

-public-html
+www-archive

Sam Ruby wrote:
> The third word is "strawman".  It involves raising and addressing an
> issue that bears only a superficial resemblance to the topic being
> discussed.

That is not the definition of a strawman.  A strawman is an argument
where one person misrepresents another's position so as to be easily
refuted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak 2009-01-31 22.55:
>> I don't think your description is in conflict with what I stated.
>> The one part I disagree with is that any raised issue that at least three
>> people agree is an issue must be flagged in Working Drafts. I do think
>> it is often a good idea to mark especially controversial issues, or
>> especially pervasive and clearly unresolved issues, but I think doing
>> this as a matter of course may create a lot of work. I would say instead
>> that we should exercise reasonable judgment about when a flag in the
>> draft is warranted.
>
> Stating his disagreement. (Conditionally permitted by Sam.)
>
>> P.S. I know you asked people not to state their agreement on the
>> list. But since your email was a reply to me, but since your email was a
>> reply to me and since I think it is helpful to the group to see people
>> coming to agreement, I chose to make an exception.
>
> Claiming to have stated his agreement.
>
> Sam:
>> Keep a watch out for these three, and call them out when you see
>> them.
>
> I see a "strawman".

Sorry, that's not a strawman either.  Maciej was just pointing that the
he largely agreed with what Sam wrote, except for one small part.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/