Updating "Recommended list of DTDs"

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:50:16 +0100
To: "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org>
Cc: "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
Hi,

Can http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html be updated?

I have several concerns:

  * It lists doctypes, not DTDs.

  * The template uses lang=en but people use the template for other
languages without changing lang. (Adding text to encourage people to
change lang doesn't really help since people copy examples and don't read
text.)

  * The template includes the XML declaration, which triggers quirks mode
in IE6.

  * The template uses a meta tag that has no effect in most browsers and is
invalid in HTML5.

  * The three doctypes for HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 are written after each
other, causing people to copy-paste all three.

  * It recommends doctypes that I would not recommend. I would recommend
(for text/html) one of HTML5, HTML 4.01 Strict or possibly XHTML 1.0
Strict. (For XML I would recommend no doctype.)

  * "List of DTDs for the CSS validator." seems like a bogus empty section
that should be removed.

  * "Authoring tools MUST NOT use the following list." seems out of place
and should probably also be removed.

Cheers,
--
Simon Pieters