Re: usage of 'resource' vs 'representation' in HTML 5, CSS, HTML 4, SVG, ...

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:53:18 +0000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, www-archive@w3.org
On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 10:20 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Yet that's exactly what happens. You play a game of Carcassone with me
> and Dom, and Green represents me. Yet if one hour later you play the
> game again but with Mike and Doug, suddenly Green might represent Mike
> instead. The colour here is an identifier

Personally in this situation I'd say that the colour is not an
identifier, but rather the tuple of {colour,game} is. Of course, people
can still refer to:

> "the green player"

But this is implicitly taken to refer to {"green",current-game} or
perhaps {"green",some-other-game-clear-from-context}.

How this relates to resources/representations is beyond me, but I do
think it makes sense to use language consistent with other relevant
specifications, HTTP 1.1 being one such specification.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>