Re: usage of 'resource' vs 'representation' in HTML 5, CSS, HTML 4, SVG, ...

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:00:45 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: www-archive@w3.org
Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Dan Connolly wrote:
>> I find that usage of "identify" very unappealing. I think normal usage
>> of "identify" is unambiguous. If I say "In this game, teams are
>> identified by color" and then told you that blue identifies team X and a
>> different team Y, you'd consider that nonsense.
> Yet that's exactly what happens. You play a game of Carcassone with me and
> Dom, and Green represents me. Yet if one hour later you play the game
> again but with Mike and Doug, suddenly Green might represent Mike instead.
> The colour here is an identifier, but what it identifies changes
> discretely over time.
OK... that's sort of a "flattening". It suffices as long as you never
need to talk about how
variables change over time... that sort of thing.

But I get the impression that the HTML 5 spec discusses caching,
refreshing pages, messages to worker threads, and that sort of thing,
yes? In that case, I don't
think you can use this time-flattened worldview. I'll have to look at
the text in detail. Any help
finding the relevant bits is more than welcome.

Dan, still trying to remind himself where is the knob in thunderbird for
"just use plain text"