Re: usage of 'resource' vs 'representation' in HTML 5, CSS, HTML 4, SVG, ...

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 06:33:29 -0500
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, www-archive@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

Le 10 déc. 2009 à 06:19, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> To continue the analogy of the game: when you give points to a player,
> you're giving the points to the actual person, not to an abstract concept.
> It isn't helpful to talk about giving points to the abstract concept of
> the green player as distinct from the person who is the green player.

In the physical world, not *necessary* in the information world.
HTTP doesn't define how you manage your info structure in the physical world.

$ curl -X DELETE -i http://example.org/toto

This action requests to the server to remove the avaibility of tp://example.org/toto from the HTTP server,
then I can return to the next GET a 410 Gone.

BUT HTTP doesn't define what you should do with the "bag of bits" on the the filesystems. You could put it in a temporary directory, in /dev/null, keep it at the same place but sending a 410 Gone.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada